Feb 4, 2009

Movie Review: The Station Agent









Receiving wide critical acclaim elsewhere, it seems the Oscars yet again disappointed by ignoring the best movie of 2003. Though a new admirer, my admiration for The Station Agent solidifies my love of the "indie" and Sundance film circuit.



I'm beyond stunned that this is Tom McCarthy's first screenplay, and even more amazed that he hasn't been discovered sooner! Though he is a noted actor his ability to write and direct go beyond anything I've seen him in. The ability he has to tell a story of the relationships between people makes me believe that the beauty of honest, organic, cinema is not lost to the big budget, poor acted, Hollywood proto types. I'm now a new and forever fan of McCarthy's (see: The Visitor).





















Peter Dinklage's portrayal of Finbar McBride was probably one of the best performances of the year. I felt every emotion that flickered on his face. I've never seen an actor in such control of their body before. His performance was only enhanced by the remarkable supporting cast. Patricia Clarkson, Bobby Cannavale, Michelle Williams... what a beautiful cast.






























I'm not sure how else I can express my dear admiration for this film.

To see?
A resounding yes.

No comments: